This article covers the steps to successfully set up your integration between Intricately and Salesforce. You can use the links below to jump to a specific section:
1. Enable the Streaming API for your Instance [In Salesforce]
The Streaming API enables the streaming of events using push technology and provides a subscription mechanism for receiving events in real-time. These events allow us to keep your data up-to-date.
1. Navigate to the User Interface settings section.
a. From Setup, search for User Interface in the Quick Find box.
2. Scroll to the Setup section and check the Enable Streaming API checkbox.
2. Update or Create a Salesforce User for the Integration [In Salesforce]
We recommend dedicating a Salesforce User for the integration as a best practice to ensure no disruptions. If connected via an employee's account, there will be a disruption if that account were disabled.
This can be a new user or an existing integrations user. Many customers already have a user dedicated to integrations.
Once you've determined the user for the integration, you must create a new User Profile, or update the integration User Profile to accommodate the following permissions.
This profile will need the ability to read data from and write data to your Salesforce instance. The profile will also require more advanced permissions such as modifying data via the Metadata API so that the Connector can retroactively enrich your custom records and provide real-time updates to you when your customer data changes.
If the profile is admin, it typically includes all the settings automatically.
Let's walk through how to add a new User Profile:
1. Navigate to User Profiles.
a. From Setup, search for Profiles in the Quick Find box
2. Click New Profile.
3. Select Standard User from the Existing Profile drop-down.
4. Name the Profile “Intricately Connector” and click Save.
Now let's add the necessary permissions:
1. Select the profile dedicated to the integration and click Edit.
2. Scroll down to the Administrative Permissions section and check:
a. Modify All Data
b. Customize Application
c. Modify Metadata Through Metadata API
Note: these are not mandatory, but it affects the sync frequency and setup process. See the Salesforce Connector FAQ article for more information if your company doesn't support these settings.
3. Scroll down to the Standard Object Permissions section and ensure the following permissions are selected.
a. Read & Edit permissions should be set for Accounts (1) & Leads (2)
b. Create, Read & Edit permissions should be set for Push Topics (3)
PushTopics are a way for your Salesforce instance to notify us about record creation and changes. When we create a PushTopic on your Salesforce Org a communication channel is created between it and Intricately’s system. For example, a Lead is created on your Salesforce Org, Salesforce notifies us, and we enrich it.
3. Connect to Salesforce from Intricately [In Intricately]
1. Add your first Admin Contact
a. Access the SFDC Configuration page from the settings menu in the top-right: Settings > Salesforce Connector.
b. On the Salesforce Connector configuration page, click Add Account Contact and input an email address
2. Connect to your Sandbox or Production Salesforce org
1. Select the Add Organization drop-down and select either Production or Sandbox
b. The implementation process is the same for both types.
2. A new window/tab will open with a Salesforce login page
Make sure to log in using the dedicated user for the integration, with all the necessary permissions! After you log in and allow permissions, you should see a loading authentication page before being returned to the web app.
3. Once connected, click Configure to continue to the next step.
4. Determine Which Objects to Sync: Accounts and/or Leads [In Intricately]
Use the checkboxes to select the objects you would like to write Intricately data to. You can use the Advanced Settings module to configure more granular enrichment settings for new and changed records.
5. Adding and Connecting Intricately Fields [In Intricately]
Your Salesforce Org will start with default Intricately fields - these cannot be deleted.
To add more, click Select Intricately Fields and select the field names that apply. This will add fields to your field list within the web app.
When you're ready, click Create Fields in Salesforce to add all your selected fields to your Salesforce organization.
You'll be prompted to select Manual Creation or Automatic Creation of these fields. With either selection, we'll email you a list of the fields you selected to make manually adding or reviewing them easier.
You can repeat these steps as needed.
6. Update the Field-Level Security Permissions [In Salesforce]
In this step you will be setting Field-Level Security permissions for the Intricately fields which have been created. Field-Level Security Permissions control who has access to Intricately fields. See Salesforce Help for Security Permissions for additional detail.
For each Intricately field, you’ll need to set Field-Level Security at both the Lead and Account level (assuming you have added Intricately fields to both objects).
Note: This step is only required if Intricately has created fields on your behalf.
1. Navigate to the Lead and Account Fields pages
a. Click on the Object Manager tab then click on either Account or Lead (you’ll need to do both).
b. Click on Fields & Relationships
2. Sort by Field Name, and scroll to fields starting with "Ily." All Intricately fields have "Ily" to start, and sorting makes it easier to locate all the fields when updating.
Pro Tip: right-click and open each field in a new tab to save time.
3. For each Intricately field, set the appropriate Field-Level Security permissions by first clicking on the field name.
a. Click on Set Field-Level Security:
b. Select all the Profiles that you would like to have access to the Intricately fields and click Save.
7. Add Fields to the Page Layout(s) [In Salesforce]
The final step in Salesforce is to add all your new fields to the Lead and/or Account page layouts. Your organization's page layouts can be accessed via the Object Manager for Account or Lead (right below Fields & Relationships!).
Please discuss best practices with your Customer Success Manager. The following layouts are used by our customers:
8. Request a Complete Database Sync. [In Intricately]
After all your field permissions are set and your org is fully connected you are able to request a retroactive enrichment of all records. This will trigger the syncing of our data to all records in your Salesforce instance.
On the SFDC Connector page in Intricately select Configure on the org you are working in. Scroll to the bottom of the Org Configuration page click the Submit button to start the process.